Active Directory, Transfer the Schema Master Role of a Windows 2003 Server Domain Controller using the MMC GUI
Register the Schmmgmt.dll MMC Snap-in
Register the DLL using
Transfer the Schema Master Role
- Run MMC (Microsoft Management Console – Start – run – MMC )
- On the File, menu click Add/Remove Snap-in.
- Click Add.
- Click Active Directory Schema, click Add, click Close, and then click OK.
- In the console tree, right-click Active Directory Schema, and then click Change Domain Controller.
- Click Specify Name, type the name of the domain controller that will be the new role holder, and then click OK.
- In the console tree, right-click Active Directory Schema, and then click Operations Master.
- Click Change.
- Click OK to confirm that you want to transfer the role, and then click Close.
If you get an error like ‘the requested fsmo operation failed. the current fsmo holder could not be contacted’ then:
Check your DNS. Often this error messages occurs on Domain Controllers with more than one NIC / IP Address. Check your DNS Reverse Lookup Zones. To create a diagnoses, there is a tool called dcdiag.
You can do a DNS Check using Dcdiag:
(The Dcdiag command-line tool is included when you install Windows Server 2003 Support Tools from the product CD)