VMware ESX / Virtual Center – Extend Virtual Disk

Your ads will be inserted here by

Easy Plugin for AdSense.

Please go to the plugin admin page to
Paste your ad code OR
Suppress this ad slot.

Ok, I’ve already written about extending a virtual disk in VMware ESX Server / Virtual Center here.
I spent the last view hours exactly for that task…
Logo_VMware

In the VMware Infrastructure Client GUI I selected the the virtual machine with the right mouse button, selected Edit Settings, selected the Hard Disk Number 1, and under Capacity I entered a new value of 48 GB. I wanted to enlarge (the disk.. Winking smile) / extend the disk from 24 gigabytes to 48 gigabytes. Everything fine I thought. I clicked on OK and assumed that the change has been committed, because I the task pane, I got a green success ball that normally indicates: everything’s fine.

VMware_ESX_VirtualMachine_Disk_extended_Size

VMware_ESX_Task_Reconfigure_Virtual_Machine_Completed

BUT, when I later booted Windows PE to extend the disk partition using diskpart, I realized, that the disk geometry hasn’t been changed. I check the Hard Disk Number 1 in the Virtual Machine Properties page and voila, the disk was still 24GB. I thought, ok no worries chris, there must be snapshot. Delete that bastard and try it again. WRONG, there was no snapshot. Ok, I the past I often had issues with the VMware Infrastructure Client GUI, and I’m an old DOS Batch guy anyway – I opened an Putty SSH Shell, connected to the ESX Host and tried to extend the partition using VMKFSTOOLS as documented here.

[root@vmdesx001 VMDSRV004]# vmkfstools -X 48G VMDSRV004_C.vmdk
Failed to extend disk : There is not enough space on the file system for the selected operation (13).

Failed to extend disk, not enough disk space .. wtf, there’s about a quarter terabyte free disk space. I rebooted the ESX Server just to be sure that it isn’t a temporary I don’t know ..failure or error. When I tried it again => still the same.

I found this article / post. But that didn’t help me either. I started looking at the different files in the folder

[root@vmdesx001 VMDSRV004]# ls -la
total 184550784
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1540 Oct 30 15:07 .
drwxr-xr-t    1 root     root         2240 Oct 31 07:21 ..
-rw——-    1 root     root          406 Oct 30 14:18 VMDSRV004_C.vmdk
-rw——-    1 root     root          408 Oct 30 14:18 VMDSRV004_D.vmdk
-rw——-    1 root     root     137438953472 Oct 30 14:24 VMDSRV004-flat.vmdk
-rw——-    1 root     root     25769803776 Oct 30 14:24 VMDSRV004 NEW_1-flat.vmdk
-rw——-    1 root     root     25769803776 Oct 30 14:24 VMDSRV004 NEW-flat.vmdk
-rw——-    1 root     root          404 Oct 30 14:18 VMDSRV004.vmdk
-rw——-    1 root     root            0 Oct 30 15:07 VMDSRV004.vmsd
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1544 Oct 31 08:33 VMDSRV004.vmx
-rw——-    1 root     root          264 Oct 31 08:33 VMDSRV004.vmxf

I checked the VMDSRV004_C.vmdk using cat.

[root@vmdesx001 VMDSRV004]# cat  VMDSRV004_C.vmdk
# Disk DescriptorFile
version=1
CID=c010d074
parentCID=ffffffff
createType="vmfs"

# Extent description
RW 50331648 VMFS "VMDSRV004 NEW-flat.vmdk"

# The Disk Data Base
#DDB

Your ads will be inserted here by

Easy Plugin for AdSense.

Please go to the plugin admin page to
Paste your ad code OR
Suppress this ad slot.

ddb.virtualHWVersion = "4"
ddb.uuid = "60 00 C2 97 8f 60 80 19-1e 49 de 39 f4 48 9f 7d"
ddb.geometry.cylinders = "3133"
ddb.geometry.heads = "255"
ddb.geometry.sectors = "63"
ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic"
ddb.toolsVersion = "7300"

Ok, there’s an # Extent description Section in that file. AND, a Filename defined with a SPACE in it!

Let’s change the Filename on disk to something without a space

[root@vmdesx001 VMDSRV004]# mv "VMDSRV004 NEW-flat.vmdk" "VMDSRV004_NEW-flat.vmdk"

and now let’s open the VMDSRV004_C.vmdk using vi or nano or whatever editor.

[root@vmdesx001 VMDSRV004]# vi VMDSRV004_C.vmdk

change the section

# Extent description
RW 50331648 VMFS "VMDSRV004_NEW-flat.vmdk" <== new filename!

:wq (write quit the editor)

and try to extend the partition again..

[root@vmdesx001 VMDSRV004]# vmkfstools -X 48G VMDSRV004_C.vmdk
[root@vmdesx001 VMDSRV004]#

And see, IT WORKS. Took me 3 hours and thought I’ll share that with the rest of the world. maybe it will help someone .. someday.

1 thought on “VMware ESX / Virtual Center – Extend Virtual Disk